May 1, 2007

netflix scores

I came across Dead Like Me while browsing through my suggestions. The premise sounded funny and reminded me of Christopher Moore's Dirty Job.
The show centers on a motley crew of grim reapers headed by a droll boss and anchored by the group's college-age newcomer, who doesn't quite know what she's doing or even why she was chosen for the job in the first place. But soon, she grows to recognize the poetry in her purpose.

I watched half of the pilot at home and the rest at work during my meal break. It was smart, funny, and somehow very familiar. The few kids sitting with me (and I do mean kids, all under 18) enjoyed the parts they caught.

This past weekend I sat through the next nine episodes and once again had a nagging feeling about how familiar the show was. I pulled up good ol' IMDB and while reading the credits, realized that Bryan Fuller is one of the creators and producer. You may remember him from my favorite show of the new millennium, Wonderfalls, which lasted all of four episodes on FOX.

Let's compare ...
Both have the female lead doing the voice overs
Both girls were college dropouts in search of themselves
Both girls have very dry wit
Both have disconnected family members
Both have "job" encounters that also have significant meanings in their personal life

I love the opening credits which features Reapers doing everyday things; clocking in; at the water cooler; eating lunch; doing laundry; and at the gym. It's official, when I die, I want to be a Reaper. I'll finally have a job where I don't have to wear a nametag.

No comments: