April 27, 2007

rock the house yall

Last night, we were tooling about the apartment and none of the usual distractions were capturing our attention. Internet … naw … iTunes … nope … TiVo … maybe tomorrow ... books … not feeling it … good-looking men … hell yeah!

It was 80’s night at JR’s and we were treated to the musical stylings of Seal, Madonna, Howard Jones, Living In a Box, and others I didn’t remember. They even played Lisa Lisa and Cult Jam's “Let the Beat Hit ‘Em." Yup, I sang and bopped along. My favorite good-looking bartender was working so I placed myself across from his station and watched him work his charm on the men. Apparently he’s a favorite to many because of the four stations, his was never free.

Chaos was our second stop, a place we hadn’t been to in over eighteen months. The normally rude manager didn't disappoint (why does he work in the service industry when he’s such a pill?) He was standing outside smoking and barely acknowledged our presence although we frequented Chaos almost every Thursday for two years. There was an extremely good-looking man working the door. I pulled out my ID but he also asked me to pull out my cell phone and keys. He waved a metal detection wand all over me, then he patted me down, and then he asked me to turn around and repeated the same steps.

I looked over at My Honey while this was happening and told him, “I don’t want to spend our money in a place that treats us like criminals or terrorists.” He said it was up to me. I turned to the very good-looking doorman and told him, “Sorry, I think we’ll go somewhere else.”

I have never been patted down at an average “white” gay bar in DC, so why put up with it at a Latino gay bar? I didn’t like the implication that we’re thugs and that we carry concealed weapons when we decide to get our groove on. Someone at the next bar said they frisk because there was a knifing there. So because of one isolated event, a whole race is stereotyped into hooligans. I wish there were other Latino alternatives to Chaos and then, maybe, just maybe, they would start treating their Latino based clientele with more respect. Come on Latinos, we can, and must do better. This bar is officially dead to me. I will never go back even though the patrons always made me fell tall.

We walked up to Cobalt and were ID-ed by yet another good-looking doorman who smiled us on up. The place was packed and there were many cuties on both bar floors. I saw some of the old Chaos regulars there and in my mind I knew that were also boycotting Chaos for their door practices. We had a few beers, chatted with a few friends and then headed out as soon as the underwear contest began. I could have stayed out all night but My Honey had an early day today.

No comments: