March 24, 2007

reading


Didn’t have much to do on Friday so I went to see Jhumpa Lahiri’s Namesake at the E Street Landmark Theater. You know that feeling you get when you’ve made a wrong turn? That’s the feeling I got as I entered death’s waiting room … er … theater 3 … old everywhere ... and all of them in the best seats. Rats.

I enjoyed reading the Namesake last year and only recently found out that a movie was being released in March with my favorite stoner Kal Penn in the role of Gogol. Namesake was one of my favorite reads of 2006 (I miss Advanced Readers Copies).

I related with many of the book/movie’s themes; the culture clashes, first generation Americans, and returning to your family roots. I would have liked to see more of Gogol’s parent first years in America as they assimilated to life in a strange country and embraced Bengali strangers to form an extended family unit (Aunties galore).

I was very moved by the scene where Gogol has his head shaved in respect for his father. Thankfully, I sat toward the back and everyone was spared the flowing tears. I’ve written before, I am very moved by rites and rituals.

I went to the B&N on the corner to see if they had any books on Indian rituals but, they didn’t have much to offer. Actually, their history section lacked “breadth” (another point for Borders.) I picked up and am breezing through Lahiri’s Pulitzer Prize winning collection of short stories, Interpreter of Maladies.

No comments: